Come be a slice of our small team & contribute directly to the brand development of James.
Do you thrive in a fun but flexible small company environment? At The James Brand, we believe in working hard, playing even harder, and that if you are on our team, it's because you can handle both individual freedom and accountability.
We started this business because we wanted to build a brand with our friends and collaborators. Is that you? Could you be James? Your ability to communicate openly and clearly is tantamount to your success because it's tantamount to ours. Tolerance for ambiguity is an asset, too, as we are small, growing, and ever adapting to our global consumers' needs. We are focused on the growth and development of our team, as our team is our company. When you get better, we get better. That’s what we’re here for.
It's not always sunshine and rainbows; we always believe in frank and honest communication, even when it's not positive. You'll get used to it, and you'll never go back to soft-pedaling BS ever again.
We are seeking a detail-oriented, responsible, and reliable Assistant Controller to support the preparation and accuracy of financial statements, budget reports, and cash flows. Under the guidance of the Director of Finance, the Assistant Controller will help to construct effective financial controls and establish processes that drive consistent, accurate, and time-urgent financial reporting. The primary responsibilities will include maintaining financial records within the accounting system, preparing financial reports, and ensuring compliance with accounting principles.
To be successful in this role, you should possess exceptional accounting skills and knowledge, as well as outstanding analytical adeptness. This would include knowledge of GAAP, accrual base accounting, fixed asset accounting, tax filing requirements, forex, and organizational auditing. As an organized and coordinated professional, you’ll be capable of working independently or collaboratively with cross-functional departments within The James Brand. The ideal candidate will have the desire and energy to work efficiently and effectively in a fast-paced environment to achieve deadlines while adhering to strict financial discipline.
• Collaborate with the Director of Finance to develop and implement financial policies, procedures, and internal accounting controls.
• Assist Director of Finance in overseeing the day-to-day accounting operations of the organization, such as accounts payable/accounts receivable, general ledger management, and closing processes.
• Support month-end, quarter-end, and year-end close processes, including reconciliations, journal entries, variance review, and adjustments.
• Prepare and analyze financial statements including income statements, balance sheet, and statement of cash flows in compliance with GAAP and other regulations.
• Assist in the preparation and actualization of budgets, forecasts, financial models, and projections.
• Monitor and analyze financial performance, identify trends, and recognize opportunities for improvement.
• Collaborate with department heads to ensure proper financial controls and procedures are solidified and practiced, as well as provide insights that help to drive departmental efficiencies.
• Assist in tax compliance activities, including the preparation and filing of tax returns for several states and regions.
• Contribute to the development and implementation of automation tools to streamline and improve efficiency.
• Knowledge and understanding of the forex market.
• Provide support in various ad-hoc projects as required.
• Perform administrative duties such as processing bank deposits, reconciling financial statements, archiving documents, etc. as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field. Pursuit of CPA certification a plus.
• Proficiency in financial software, ERP systems, and Microsoft Suite (especially Excel), with the ability to learn new software and tools quickly.
• Previous experience as an Assistance Controller, Senior Accountant, or similar role with an understanding of accounting practices and financial principles.
• Ability to work independently or collaboratively across multiple departments.
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to recognize patterns and interpret financial data to provide insight.
• High level of professionalism, integrity, and ethics is an absolute must as you’ll be handling sensitive financial information.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Proactive approach to identifying and resolving issues.
• This role is based in Boise, ID.
• This is not a remote or hybrid role. This is an in-office role. We are a small team, collaborating deeply each day and our products are tangible things that we need to interact with in-person.
If you’re passionate about finance and accounting and have a proven track record, we would love to hear from you. Please submit your resume, references, and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you submit a resume and don’t hear back from us, it is because you did not meet the basic requirements, but we will try our damndest to get back to everyone.